A 5 Step Guide to Cleaning Your Fireplace
- 1. Prepare the Area Around the Fireplace to Limit the MessIt is important to keep the area around your fireplace clean. To do this you can use one of the following. Either lay down a plastic tarp around the area before you start cleaning. Or put down several layers of newspapers around the fireplace front.Now make sure you clear out all your fireplace accessories such as your grates, tools, and wood etc. before you proceed any further.
- 2. Scoop Out the AshIf you are someone who maintains their fireplace and gets it cleaned or cleans it regularly then this should you an easy-to-follow step for you. All you need to do is simply vacuum the area in an around the fireplace.If you have large piles of ash and dirt and dust accumulated in and around your fireplace, then you will need a small shovel to clear out all the debris. The goal of this step is to remove all the debris from around your fireplace that you can.
- 3. Scrub the Inside of the Fireplace InsertFor this step, you will need a heavy-duty brush. You will need to brush out all the creosote and debris stuck on the inside regions of your fireplace.Then you’ll need a small wire brush, or a baby bottle brush, or even a toothbrush with a firm grip will do the trick. You’ll use this to remove the dirt and debris from the grate of the insert and the hinges. You can even use a Q-tip to remove the dirt from the tricky parts around the hinges. Use a vacuum to clean up any remaining dirt from around the fireplace.
- 4. Clean The Fireplace InsertIf you don’t want to invest in a cleaning solution, or don’t have one handy, then you can easily make one in your house.DIY Cleaning Solution – You’ll need one gallon of water in a container to begin with. Then add a spoon of dishwashing liquid to this solution. Now mix in half a cup of baking powder to this solution. And you have your own home-made cleaning solution ready! To clean the fireplace all you now need is a few rags. We say few because depending on how dirty your insert actually is, you might need more than one rag. Take the rag and submerge it in our cleaning solution. Now use this rag to methodically clean all around the vents and grates. Use another rag if the first one doesn’t do the trick. Keep a tub of clean water and a few clean rags handy. After you’ve cleaned the insert with the cleaning solution, then use the clean water to clean off the remnants of the cleaning solution. Pro tip: Keep multiple dry and clean rags handy. The dry rags will help you thoroughly clean out all the moisture from the fireplace. Pro tip: To clean the glass parts of your fireplace, either use a glass cleaning solution or spray some white vinegar on the glass features to get them sparkling clean!!
- 5. Put your Fireplace Back TogetherOnce you are done cleaning your entire fireplace, make sure you put everything back in the same place you found it. If you find yourself with more parts than you started with, then just quickly look up on Google to figure out what that might be.Be sure to wipe off all the moisture from the fireplace parts before you put it all back in.
We at Victorian Fireplaces are thrilled to announce that we are launching an entirely NEW RANGE of fireplace products!!
Can’t wait for the products to launch? Would like an exclusive sneak-peek?
CALL US TODAY at 01522 246780
Or write to us at
and we will be delighted to help you out!!